The pro-democracy “red-shirts” protests in Bangkok, Thailand culminated in a violent confrontations between protesters and the Thailand military on April 13, 2009.
Following a stand-off between protesters and the Thai army at Din Daeng during which several buses were damaged or burnt running battles broke out at various locations across the city. The following photos are a selection of images taken over the day now known as the Songkran battle for Bangkok on April 13.
Songkran battle for Bangkok photo special slide gallery
Photos John Le Fevre
- Bangkok red-shirt rally April 8, 2009 in photos (gallery)
- Bangkok red-shirt rally April 10, 2009 in photos; Victory Monument blocked (gallery)
- Bangkok red-shirt rally April 12, 2009 in photos: State of Emergency
- Thailand PM dead man walking as Asean leaders flee Pattaya amid political protests *updated
He has spent extensive periods of time working in Africa and throughout Southeast Asia, with stints in the Middle East, the USA, and England.
He has covered major world events including Operation Desert Shield/ Storm, the 1991 pillage in Zaire, the 1994 Rwanda genocide, the 1999 East Timor independence unrest, the 2004 Asian tsunami, and the 2009, 2010, and 2014 Bangkok political protests.
In 1995 he was a Walkley Award finalist, the highest awards in Australian journalism, for his coverage of the 1995 Zaire (now Democratic Republic of Congo) Ebola outbreak.
Most recently he was the Thailand editor/ managing editor of AEC News Today . Prior to that he was the deputy editor and Thailand and Greater Mekong Sub-region editor for The Establishment Post, predecessor of Asean Today.
In the mid-80s and early 90s he owned JLF Promotions, the largest above and below the line marketing and PR firm servicing the high-technology industry in Australia. It was sold in 1995.
Opinions and views expressed on this site are those of the author’s only. Read more at About me
Latest posts by John Le Fevre (see all)
- Kaavan’s great escape photo special (video & gallery) – November 30, 2020
- A real life fairy tale: Cambodia provides sanctuary to Kaavan, the world’s loneliest elephant (video & gallery) *updated – November 30, 2020
- Does Thailand’s failure to communicate mask a bigger problem? – May 25, 2015
- Songkran Bangkok 2015 photo special (gallery) – April 15, 2015